Friday, January 11, 2013

Finally, Natural Shampoo that Works!

Switching to organic shampoo is one of the most important things to do in your beauty routine, simply because many non-natural solutions contain phthalates (which the EWG deems harmful to endocrine and reproductive systems). Your scalp easily absorbs chemicals, too, sucking them through the skin and launching them straight into your bloodstream.

So, I've chosen to use organic shampoo, though with the brands I've tested (this one, and this one), I've had to wash twice in order to get the residue out of layers of my thick hair. It's been frustrating.

I noticed that the brands I've tried all tout "moisturizing," so, in troubleshooting, I decided to search for the opposite: CLARIFYING.

I'm working on a piece about baking soda and vinegar, which will air on 2News This Morning this coming Sunday, and in my research, realized I had hair-cleaning powers right at my fingertips.
So, I grabbed one of the empty beauty bottles my dear sister gave me for Christmas, and filled it with the following solution:
RECIPE:
1 tablespoon baking soda
1-2 cups WARM water (to make soda dissolve)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
**Add a few drops of tea tree essential oil if you're treating dandruff

TO USE:
 Shake it up, pour over wet hair, and massage scalp
Leave in as long as you can, 5-15 minutes
Rinse
After your shower, towel-dry hair and apply a small amount of natural oil ONLY TO ENDS

Once I blowdried my hair, it was INSANE how much lighter my hair was (and no hidden grease/buildup anywhere!). Because it wasn't held down by excess moisturizers, it went so voluminous when I styled it, and looked so shiny and healthy.


I am blown away that the best shampoo was found in my cleaning cabinet! And for just pennies on the ounce.

Take that, Vidal Sassoon! ;)

**Though this mixture is color-safe, I read that you should only "clarify" 1-2 times per week to avoid stripping all the oils from your hair. But I only wash about that many times per week - thanks to dry shampoo!

3 comments:

  1. yay! i've been out of town for a week and had to use the hotel shampoo twice. missed this! my only complaint is that it takes forever to brush. my hair is long and thick, too. let me know if you have any suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i do an apple cider vinegar/water rinse after I wash with a similar recipe. I add a few drops of essential oil so it will smell nice. I use a conditioner comb in the shower. My hair is also long and thick... that works for me..

    ReplyDelete
  3. We asked men about what makes a woman look either classy or messy? Strikingly, all of them recalled one thing- their hair do! Interestingly your hair, the most forgotten beauty asset, is your most important beauty tip that you often forget to take care of. But all of the girl gang has their basics right- shampooing. Probably not? Let’s check out.

    ReplyDelete