Sunday, December 30, 2012

Urban Snowtrekking.

Nibley Golf Course disguised a winter wonderland of snowshoeing.
We are officially taking full advantage of our neighborhood.

My co-worker Cindy suggested we take to the public golf course to test out our brand-new snowshoes. Well, at just a short walk away, this was a great option, because the hill-strewn, Canadian-geese oversought field of white was just what we needed to get out feet wet (though they remained very dry) in the world of snow trekking.

What a beautiful, free, calorie-burning way to spend the day! And trust me, it's a workout:



Fitness Magazine states that a 150-lb. person will burn 551calories per hour while snowshoeing. Snowshoeing burns about 45 percent more calories than walking or running when done at the same pace and on the same type of terrain.

But you'd never know it. Besides the steady sweat (wear wicking clothing!), I didn't know I was working too hard, partly because of our iPod speaker trickling out a steady stream of My Morning Jacket, and also because of the blankness of the white snow and calm of flurries, which slid me into a kind of sleighride meditation.

So, I'm happy to say that this not only is one of my new favorite snow activities (I'm actually wishing for more snow!), but also a great workout, and/or calorie-burning date! Wow, my legs and arms feel like Jell-O right now...

Toe to toe with our Yukon Snowshoes.

Over the river and through the woods...
I could trek for days.

Explorer Chris.
Snow happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment