Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Effect of Weekend Wishing.

It's been a crazy couple of weeks. Not because it's the holidays - geez, I haven't even touched that topic yet - but because work and extracurriculars and family and house stuff. Busy is good; I am always "go-go-go" so I couldn't imagine NOT being so. But lately, I feel like it's been a little much.

So, in positive meditation, I am conjuring up the weekend. I must say, Chris and I seem to have the most amazing weekends - even if we don't leave the house.

Snow day in our neighborhood.
Like the past weekend was delightful. Due to our funky schedules, our sleep times are always a little skewed. It's not unusual for us to wake up at 4 in the morning and start a mimosa brunch and movie marathon, only to fall back asleep around 10. This weekend was just like that. We had a productive Saturday: Almost made ourselves puke at the gym (it's been ages since I've done anything besides yoga), got the ingredients for our dinner party appetizer, cooked together, got ready, cleaned, etc. We had a great time at the dinner party, then continued our festivities back at home. The next morning, we were up at 4 a.m., starving...so we started up the typical Early Bird Special. It ended up being a bonafide snowday as we watched Alien, the director's commentary of Alien, and Adam Sandler's That's My Boy (twice), as we hid from the world in our cozy, Christmas-tree-lit living room. I even made the recipe I've been eyeing in Natural Health magazine - a Quinoa Kale Bake! (I'll post the recipe soon...it's not online anywhere.) Your favorite ridiculously lovey-dovey couple also found two new "our songs." (Crosseyed Beautiful Younguns by Love as Laughter, and Lean on Me by Anders Osborne.) Bottom line, we really dig our 48 hours of workless bliss.

Now that I'm sitting here, bleary-eyed, nervous in thought, a bit stressed, I CRAVE the weekend. Here, Jonesy! Here, little weekend! GET OVER HERE NOW!

Quinoa baked with eggs, kale and spices.
But that kind of thought isn't doing me any good. Future-thinking? That's not very new-agey of me.

Lately, I really haven't been as present as I'd like to be. In fact, I have kind of felt like I'm over-analyzing everything. Am I doing this because of that? Am I supposed to learn that lesson? Am I doing the opposite of what my present self would do? That kind of thing.

I'm tired of being just a little on edge. It's time to take this pointless thought out of life again and enjoy, because every moment holds promise of that "weekend" feeling. After all, author Eckhart Tolle says in the absence of thought, true creativity awakens, and the best work is done.

So off you go, brain. Goodnight. And you, Amanda? You enjoy your everyday weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment