Tuesday, December 4, 2012

DIY Natural Lipstick or Balm


If great ideas come from necessity, than this must is one of the best. Organic lipbalm, natural lipstick - even my old go-to Coconut Oil were just not cutting the beeswax when it came to protecting my lips. My kisser was so chapped, that for about two weeks, I was highly self-conscious as they peeled and cracked and kept raw. So, I took matters into my own hands, and made my own brand of balm.

$9 natural lip gloss from Whole Foods - FAIL!!!
From studying the ingredients on the store-bought stuff, I knew what I DIDN'T want in my lip smear: Coconut oil was obviously not working, so anything with it as a major ingredient - no bueno. I also started aggregating recipes to figure out the common denominators of a moisturizing, natural lipstick. This is what I came up with, and it came out almost perfect.

Repurpose old lipgloss or sample containers for your mixture.

Ingredients:
Recycled containers to hold product
Castor oil
Sweet almond oil
Olive oil
Beeswax (you don't need to buy more than 8 ounces, find it from a local beekeeper or buy it online)
Mica pigment powder - color + white (I used my locally made mineral eyeshadow powder, or you can buy it online) 
**leave out the mica if you don't want color

I freehanded these measurements, so bare with me (it makes about 5 pots of balm or lipstick tubes). I used a glass measuring cup to hold what ended up being about 1/4 cup of oil. I did 2 parts olive oil, 1 part castor oil, and 1 part sweet almond oil.

I heated the mixture through on the stove, stirring in the mica pigment powder - tempering with the white to make it my desired shade.




Once heated through, I cut off about a 1 ounce chunk of beeswax and put it in the pot to melt. Once you notice it thickening (it is pretty much a guessing game), spoon the mixture into your containers (make sure they are thick enough to where hot oil won't melt them! My mixture burned straight through one of my containers. Glass or cardboard are ideal.

Beeswax.




Let them cool overnight. 

The final products, cooling on the window seal.
RESULTS: My pots were pretty much perfect, but I added too much beeswax. Beeswax is what holds the oils and color together, but you actually don't need very much. Using too much means, when it cools, you get a layer of colorless beeswax at the top of your pot (still can use like lipbalm). It's not the end of the world, but you'll have to scrape down to get to the real moisture-dense, color-packed lipstick part.


Secondly - CLEANUP. You're dealing with shimmery powder, oil and hardening wax, so you have to clean up fast. After distributing your mixture, hurry and wipe out the pot with a towel while it's still hot. And don't pour excess down the drain for fear of the wax clogging it. Pour it in the garbage.

I am obsessed with the moisture! It works WONDERS for me. You'll have the smoothest, baby-bottom lips of your life...and hopefully, you get your color and beeswax content right the first time!

2 comments:

  1. so doing this! where did you get your beeswax? would love to buy it locally, but it's so cheap on amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea! I knew you would, girlfriend! Hey, cheap is OK! I have a gal at work who raises her own bees, but I also buy it online at MountainRoseHerbs.com! :)

    ReplyDelete