Friday, October 5, 2012

Why You Shouldn't HULK Through A Job You Hate.

Me, at work, doing one of the things I love the most: Telling people about cool stuff!

When was the last time you griped about work? Avoided eye contact with your coworkers? Maybe dialed it in, or put forth half an effort (all the time)?

Yes, we all have those days where we'd rather be drinking wine in the sun or sleeping in next to our Honey. But in general, the aforementioned are bonafide symptoms of the most common American ailment next to obesity: Unhappiness at work.

I don't want to sound preachy, but I personally have had experience with the daily dread that comes with hating your job. The best thing I did, in that case, was QUIT - a concept as foreign to our society as Snooki in doting mother-mode.

It was scary, and I took a huge pay cut; to the point where I couldn't afford certain expenditures anymore (Clothes shopping? What was that?). But quitting also made me available to seek out a job in my dream field of TV. And I have to think a little serendipity swooped in to help me land the job (almost immediately) at KUTV. And it wasn't long after I got the KUTV job, that I decided my marriage wasn't working for me, then allowed myself to fall in love with the most charming person I've ever met: My co-worker and desk mate, Chris Jones, whom I had dreamed of meeting long before working there. We moved into a charming apartment in the neighborhood I had always pictured myself in, and started living the lifestyle I always dreamed of (eating at cute restaurants, riding my bike everywhere, etc.). We got married, have a house together, and are talking about having a family. And all of this, when I was working the job that I hated, were as immaterial as mirages waving across a distant desert landscape.

When I quit, even though it was a financial sacrifice (which didn't really bother me, because I wasn't dealing with daily oppression), everything started to feel EASY. I felt like I finally plugged into my real "life track." When you're unhappy at work, it's a sign that you're not on that right track; that maybe you should stop, grab a snack at the gas station, and take a left at the fork in the road.

If you need a little inspiration, like I always do, check out the wise words of Kahlil Gibran from his book, "The Prophet:"

"Work is love made visible.


For if you bake bread with indifference, you bake a bitter bread that feeds but half man's hunger.
And if you grudge the crushing of the grapes, your grudge distils a poison in the wine.

And what is it to work with love?

It is to build a house with affection, even as if your beloved were to dwell in that house.
It is to charge all things you fashion with a breath of your own spirit."


Chris and I are fortunate to work at jobs that utilize some of our "god-given" talents. But even still, we continuously ask ourselves if we're baking bitter bread, or if we're truly infusing our work with a breath of our own spirit. We always want to be doing our true "life's work."

We also live simply in case we DO need to make a change. So, if either of us lose or quit our jobs, we'd be fine. We'd survive, and actually, if the past is any indication, THRIVE.

So, here's some stuff from this week to show that even when I'm working hard, it's important to put a little "play" in the day!

Co-workers who shiver together (in a FREEZING newsroom), smile together.

 
Put a little silliness in your step to spruce up tedious tasks.

No comments:

Post a Comment