Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The New Smoothie: Parfait Bars

There should be a Broadway play about Greek yogurt. Or at least a whole magazine dedicated to this glorious, low-carb, protein-packed superfood.

With 14g protein per 120-calorie cup (for most fat-free kinds), Greek yogurt fills you up for hours, with minimal sugar and sodium (those are removed with the excess whey in the straining process). Plus, lots of good bacteria (probiotics) that aid in digestive health.

So I eat this creamy treat A LOT. And it can get boring, because I tend to avoid the sweetened ones with questionable additives. But I discovered a way to keep it new and exciting every day, while infusing it with more essential nutrients. So, I created a parfait bar!!

To do it, stock your fridge and cupboards with "mix-ins" like nuts, dried fruit, fresh fruit, honey, steel-cut oats, flax seed. Keep a big tub of plain, fat-free Greek yogurt in the fridge as the base.

Today's mix-ins included almonds, raisins, sunflower kernels, cashews and raisins (all from the bulk foods section - so no packaging to litter the Earth!)

I added the mix-ins to my base, plus a few sliced bananas and dashes of antioxidant-rich cinnamon!


Leave your mix-ins loose in the cupboard, or make up different combinations and organize them into jars!  I.e. Tropical combo, Nutty Mix, Digestive Power boost...etc.

And, don't forget to include a "boost!"
Immunity boost: Citrus fruits
Digestive health boost: Flax seed, ginger (dried, fresh or powder), black pepper, bran flakes
Detox/metabolism boost: Cinnamon, ginger, cayenne pepper, cardamom, turmeric
Overall Health: Honey, coconut, whole oats, and Omega-3 rich foods like nuts, chia seeds

It's kind of the same concept as a smoothie, where you can throw in all the superfoods you like and ingest in a few gulps. But I like to EAT. Chew. Crunch. Savor. So, I make a bowl of this stuff - stack it as high as I want (because it's all healthy!), and I'm not hungry for hours to come.


Random fact: It takes twice as much milk to make a cup of Greek yogurt than it does to make traditional yogurt.

3 comments:

  1. going to do this for sure! i don't like greek yogurt (or any yogurt, really), but i eat it every day. this will help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea, I'm so glad because there's, like, nothing worse than getting sick of your healthy food! It's always nice to spice it up a bit! If you have any tips for me...let me know! I think quinoa is becoming a little boring...haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha, i know! if you're sick of quinoa, you should try this little diddy i found pinterest. pretty yum!

    http://www.fitsugar.com/Cinnamon-Quinoa-Bake-21799042

    ReplyDelete