Saturday, September 29, 2012

Why You Should Trade Your Cow for a Goat.

When I became a conscious eater, my body whispered to me that there was something "off" about cow's milk. I couldn't explain it, but I stopped drinking it, and limited my cheese intake. Now, for my milk needs, I use the almond version, and as of last week, have switched from cow cheese to goat cheese. Man, what a difference.
A happy goat at Utah's Drake Family Farm.

Again, I can't explain why goat's cheese "felt" like a better option, but it just did. I didn't feel guilty putting it in salads, on quesadillas, or eating the soft, spreadable stuff with a spoon. But now that I've done a little research, it makes sense why I feel good about goat dairy, but am persuaded to give up the bovine kind. (In fact, now I'd even choose goat's milk over soy...it's more tailored to your body, according to the following words.)

I found an article by a doctor listing out the reasons goat dairy is an all-around better choice. It is such a good read that I'm going to link you there, instead of re-writing. But if you don't want to click over, here are a few bullet points:

1. Goat’s milk is less allergenic.
2. Goat’s milk is naturally homogenized.
3. Goat’s milk is easier to digest.
4. Goat’s milk rarely causes lactose intolerance.
5. Goat’s milk matches up to the human body better than cow’s milk.

And if you're not a fan of the taste, plug your nose for a few days as you take in small amounts. Your body will get a taste and eventually kick up a craving for it. (Try that trick with any healthy food you find un-palattable!)

And while you're add it, try a goat milk-based soap or lotion. Your skin will drink that creamy stuff right up!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this. I cut out meat and am drinking almond milk also but I couldn't fathom how to stop eating cheese. I mean, c'mon! CHEESE. But yay! Goat cheese! It didn't occur to me.

    ReplyDelete